X-Road is the backbone of e-Estonia. It’s the invisible yet crucial environment that allows the nation’s various e-services databases, both in the public and private sector, to link up and operate in harmony.
One of the key elements of e-Estonia is that its databases are decentralized, which means:
- There’s no single owner or controller
- Every government agency or business can choose the product that’s right for them
- Services can be added one at a time, as they’re ready
X-Road is the all-important connection between these databases, the tool that allows them to work together for maximum impact. All of the Estonian e-solutions that use multiple databases use X-Road. All outgoing data from the X-Road is digitally signed and encrypted. All incoming data is authenticated and logged.
Originally X-Road was a system used for making queries to the different databases. Now it has developed into a tool that can also write to multiple databases, transmit large data sets and perform searches across several databases.
X-Road was designed with growth in mind, so can be scaled up as new e-services, with their various platforms, come online.
- In 2013 over 287 million queries were done over X-road.
- Over 170 databases offer their services over X-Road in Estonia.
- Over 2,000 services are used over X-Road in Estonia.
- Over 900 organisations use X-Road daily in Estonia.
- More than 50% of the inhabitants of Estonia use X-Road through the information portal eesti.ee.
X-Road enables a wide range of otherwise complex services to be offered quickly and conveniently:
- Presenting a registration of residence electronically;
- Checking one’s personal data (address registration, exam results, health insurance, etc.) from the national databases;
- Declare taxes electronically;
- Check the validity of your driving license and vehicles registered to your name;
- A newborn child receiving health insurance automatically.
Learn more details and regulations regarding the X-Road here.
Get in touch now with the developers of X-Road!
X-Road is one of the Components that make up the digital society of Estonia. This e-solution is provided by the companies Aktors and Cybernetica.
- Aktors: find out more about all the services offered by the company on their official website. If you are interested in getting in touch with them, you are more than welcome to do it.
- Cybernetica: find out more about all the services offered by the company on their official website. If you are interested in getting in touch with them, you are more than welcome to do it.
- Roksnet: find out more about all the services offered by the company on their official website. If you are interested in getting in touch with them, you are more than welcome to do it.