Merle Maigre works as the Senior Cyber Security Expert at e-Governance Academy. From 2017 to 2018, Merle served as the Director of NATO Cooperative Cyber Defense Center of Excellence (CCDCOE) in Tallinn, which is a multinational hub of cyber defense expertise for NATO. She also worked as the Security Policy Adviser to Estonian Presidents Kersti Kaljulaid and Toomas Hendrik Ilves, being the President’s chief advisor on domestic and international security issues, including cyber defence.
Merle has also worked at CybExer Technologies, an Estonian enterprise providing cyber training. From 2010-to 2012 Merle Maigre was at NATO HQ in the Policy Planning Unit of the Private Office of NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen. Merle has also worked as a researcher at the International Centre for Defense and Security (ICDS) in Tallinn (2007-2010), served as the Deputy Head of the NATO Liaison Office in Kyiv (2005-2007), and at the NATO Department in Estonia’s Ministry of Defense, in support of the country’s NATO accession (2000-2005).
In our podcast, Merle talks to Florian Marcus about:
- Resilience in cyberspace;
- Why the war in Ukraine is a 21st century war;
- The importance of backing up your family photos and data embassies;
- The lessons learned from the 2007 Russian cyberattacks on Estonian public and private websites;
- e-Governance Academy’s digital transformation projects in the Balkans, Tonga, Ukraine, Armenia, Moldova, and many other places;
- The ongoing cyberattacks against Ukraine (since 2014);
- The Tallinn Manual and Estonia’s role in NATO.
🎧︎ The episode is available on Apple Podcast and Spotify.