The guest of our latest podcast episode is Kalev Pihl, one of the key figures behind the Estonian digital identity – ID-card project, which celebrated 20 years since its founding. He has played a crucial role in planning and leading one of the country’s own start-up stories and has significantly influenced the electronic services available today.
Nowadays, Kalev is the CEO of SK ID Solutions, a leading Trust Service Provider in Baltic countries, with a wide range of responsibilities from issuing certificates or time stamps to providing support for digital signing or working on future electronic identity mechanisms for the EU.
Listen to the latest podcast to find out:
- How a young boy, fresh out of college, became one of the fathers of the state’s e-Identity;
- Kalev Pihl´s first memories of digitalisation;
- Opposition to using driver’s license as the primary identification method and the threat from the banks that they will create their own secure identity tools;
- What was the pragmatic idea behind connecting ID-Cards with electronic ID-s;
- Getting politicians and decision-makers on board with making unpopular decisions;
- Which Estonian traits make us so keen on digitalisation;
- How not to screw up with home-grown solutions.