In 2014, Estonia launched its e-Residency program to fulfill its ambition of creating a borderless digital society for global citizens.
The program provides holders of e-Residency with a transnational digital identity. This identity allows them access to a platform built on inclusion, legitimacy, and transparency. E-residents also have access to the EU business environment and can use Estonian public e-services.
People from across the globe choose to become e-residents so that they can run a trustworthy, location-independent EU company online with all the tools needed to conduct business worldwide.
For example, e-residents can:
- Set up and manage a location-independent company online from anywhere in the world
- Establish a trusted EU company online in one day
- Manage the resulting company fully online
- Apply for a business bank account and conduct secure e-banking
- Access international payment service providers (Paypal, Braintree, etc.)
- Digitally sign and transmit documents
- Declare Estonian taxes online